I just love beetroot. We don’t often get the yellow ones here in Berlin, so when I saw them in a store I had to buy them immediately. I wanted to use them raw, the color is amazing! This salad actually has lots of flavor, given the earthiness of the beets with a bit of gingery spice, the freshness of the parsley and the mildly bitter pistachios. The beetroot need to be sliced veeery thin though, otherwise they are a bit too crunchy. If you don’t have a mandoline, a potato slicer would do as well. And most importantly, this salad needs lots of dressing – the beets should kind of marinate for a few minues before serving.
Raw beetroot salad with ginger-pistachio gremolata
for two to three portions:
- Two medium-sized beetroots, cleaned and peeled, stem removed
- One thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and cut into pieces
- A handful of pistachios
- A few sprigs of parsley
- One teaspoon and three tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of one lime
- Half a teaspoon of honey
- Black pepper
- Cut the beets into paper thin slices, handling them separately if you're using beets of different colors.
- Coarsely chop the pistachios with the ginger, parsley and a teaspoon of olive oil in a food processor (or with a knife, if you don't have one), add a pinch of salt and set aside.
- For the dressing, mix the remaining olive oil with lime juice, honey and a big pinch of salt.
- Arrange the beets on a plate, drizzle generously with the dressing and spread the pistachio gremolata on top.
- Add freshly ground black pepper and more salt to taste.