This ‘sandwich’ happened more or less by accident – I had some leftovers from making a raw cheese cake a few days erlier, plus lots of strawberries that needed to be eaten. It’s a nice change for breakfast, especially if you’re looking to eat less carbohydrates and more protein and fruit. You can easily make a larger quantity of the two bases and store them in the fridge for a week or even two. I love turmeric for it’s slightly bitter taste and it’s immune-strengthening qualities and like to add it to fruit, like here. Feel free to mix in some ginger or lemon zest, or use cinnamon instead.
Raw-ish strawberry- turmeric breakfast sandwich
- For two sandwiches:
- 12 dates, Medjool or 'raw' dates are best
- Two handfuls of almonds, peeled or unpeeled
- A handful of cashews, soaked in a little water overnight
- Coconut flakes
- Pistachios, chopped
- A teaspoon of agave syrup
- About 15 strawberries, washed and sliced
- Half a teaspoon of turmeric, or other spices
- Blend the dates and a handful of almonds in a blender until you have a rough and sticky paste. Set aside.
- Blend the soaked cashews with the rest of the almonds and half a teaspoon of agave syrup until smooth and creamy, this may take about two minutes. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat up the strawberries with the turmeric and the remaining agave syrup, stir well until the strawberries wilt a little bit and release some juices. Reserve a few slices of fresh strawberry.
- Now form the sandwich by assembling the date paste on the bottom, topped with coconut flakes, the cashew-almond cream, the chopped pistachios, the turmeric- roasted strawberries and finally the fresh strawberries. Enjoy!