These tacos contain a wild mix of toppings, but for me they all work together. I love the miso-tahini-lemon sauce, especially together with sweet potatoes (a nice combination also on its own, without tacos!) and the green asparagus provides some nice crunch. I did not make my own tortillas here but of course you could, especially if you are lucky and own a tortilla press. It’s very difficult here in Germany to find masa harina, the flour needed for corn tortillas (if you have some tips where to buy it, I would love to know), but I have made wheat flour tortillas at home (with a regular rolling pin), which are also delicious. Here and here are good recipes if you want to give them a try.
Green asparagus tacos with miso-tahini cream
Makes four tacos
- One medium sweet potato
- About 8 stalks of green asparagus
- Three teaspoons of white miso
- Two teaspoons of tahini
- Two lemons
- Four tortillas
- A few leaves of spinach
- A few slices of kohlrabi, or red or white cabbage
- One ripe avocado
- Paprika powder
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the sweet potato in two and bake it in the oven until very soft (about 30 minutes at 200 degrees C/ 350 F). Scoop out the flesh and mash it in a bowl.
- Bring a pan or flat pot of water to a boil, trim the ends off the green asparagus and blanch the stalks in the boiling water for three minutes. Take them out and set aside.
- Mix the miso and tahini with the juice of one lemon and two teaspoons of water. Set aside.
- Warm up the tortillas in a pan without oil, one by one, until they are a little brown around the edges.
- To assemble the tacos, spread one teaspoon of the miso-tahini mix on each tortilla, then top each with two tablespoons of mashed sweet potato.
- Spread a few leaves of spinach on each taco.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise, remove the pit, cut the avocado in slices or sections, then scoop out the flesh. Place a quarter of the avocado slices on each taco.
- Cut the asparagus stalks in taco-sized pieces and distribute as well.
- Top the tacos off with a few slices of kohlrabi or cabbage.
- Season the tacos with salt and pepper and paprika and drizzle with lemon juice.